Remains of medieval castle unearthed in Glasgow


Share post:

Recent archaeological fieldwork in Glasgow by GUARD Archaeology, working on behalf of Scottish Water, has revealed the medieval remains of Partick Castle.

Remains of medieval castle unearthed in Glasgow
The remains of Partick Castle 
[Credit: SNS Group]

Prior to the work commencing, GUARD Archaeologists little suspected they might encounter such significant archaeological remains. Although historical evidence strongly suggests there was a royal estate at Partick when nearby Govan on the opposite south of the Clyde was a medieval ecclesiastical centre, and which later became a seat of the Bishop of Glasgow, previous evaluations and testing by other archaeological companies had drawn a blank.

These apparently showed that the overall site had been heavily disturbed by industrial works during the nineteenth century. Therefore the assumption was that there was only a very slim chance of any remains of the medieval castle of Partick surviving here.

Remains of medieval castle unearthed in Glasgow
Remains of medieval castle unearthed in Glasgow
Excavation of Partick Castle walls and ditch 
[Credit: © GUARD Archaeology Ltd]

However, it was not known whether one area of slightly higher ground in the west of the site was a result of underlying archaeological remains or whether it was artificially raised during the clearing of later industrial buildings; this spot became the focus of our attention.

During a watching brief within this part of the development area, GUARD Archaeologists discovered a series of archaeological features including ditches, a well and several stone walls. Further excavation has recovered significant amounts of pottery, as well as metalwork, leather, glass and animal bones, that suggests a date range of twelfth/thirteenth century to the seventeenth century.

Remains of medieval castle unearthed in Glasgow
Excavation of Partick Castle walls and ditch 
[Credit: © GUARD Archaeology Ltd]

‘This fits well with the historical references to the original Bishop’s residence being erected no earlier than the twelfth century and demolished in the early seventeenth century prior to a new tower house being constructed on the site,’ said GUARD Archaeologist Beth Spence, who is leading the excavation. ‘So the archaeology we are encountering is probably the remains of both of these residences and what we will need to do once we have completed our excavation is disentangle the remains of the later tower house from the earlier castle.’

Remains of medieval castle unearthed in Glasgow
A variety of items survived under generations of industrial use on the site
[Credit: © GUARD Archaeology Ltd]

‘These findings are of national significance and provide a rare glimpse into the medieval beginnings of Partick and Glasgow,’ added GUARD Project Manager, Warren Bailie. ‘The survival of these medieval remains is especially remarkable given that the site, not unlike many industrial river banks across Britain, has witnessed such large-scale destructive development over the centuries. However, this recent wave of development, part of Scottish Water’s programme of work to upgrade Glasgow’s waste water infrastructure, has seen Scottish Water work closely with GUARD Archaeology and West of Scotland Archaeology Service to ensure that this important site is afforded the ethical approach it deserves.’

Remains of medieval castle unearthed in Glasgow
Artists impression of Partick Castle [Credit: Mitchell Library, 
Special Collections]

Any areas where these significant medieval remains cannot be preserved in situ will be fully excavated and any subsequent research and specialist analyses on the assemblages will be published in due course.

The lands of Partick were given to Glasgow Cathedral in 1136 by King David. It was believed to have subsequently become the country seat of the Bishops of Glasgow, with a fortified stone structure of some kind likely erected on the site; building documents relating to the construction by George Hutcheson of a towerhouse in 1611 specify the demolition of a pre-existing structure. Conversely this later tower house became known locally as the ‘Bishop’s Palace’. The ruin of this seventeenth century building stood on the west bank of the River Kelvin, near the position of the railway bridge until it was removed around 1837. The site was subsequently used as industrial ground.

Source: GUARD Archaeology [March 23, 2016]



Related articles

Archaeologists study ancient ritual site in Arctic Russia

In a forgotten part of northern Europe, archaeologists set out to study the ritual sacrifice site of the...

Capo Corso 2: A Roman Wreck Laden with Glass at 350 metres

The first campaign of the "Italian-French Mission for the Study of the Deep Wreck Capo Corso 2" took...

4,000-year-old burial with facing couple found in Kazakhstan

The bodies of a man and woman who died 4,000 years ago have been found buried face-to-face in...

Oldest Hoabinhian site discovered in SW China

The oldest Hoabinhian culture, an important technological adaptation by hunter-gatherers to the humid tropical and subtropical environments of...

Pre-Inca funeral towers in Bolivia rebuilt

On the slopes of the hills that border Lake Titicaca, in the Bolivian Andes, there are some 300...

Neanderthal occupation floor unearthed at Spanish cave

The Neanderthals of the Abric Romaní (Capellades, Barcelona) site excavated a concave hole on the ground of 40x30x10...

Bronze Age warrior tomb unearthed in SW Greece

On the floor of the grave lay the skeleton of an adult male, stretched out on his back....

Chinese archaeologists find Bronze Age ruins in Jilin province

A team of archaeologists said on Sunday that they have unearthed Bronze Age ruins including the remains of...