Clear evidence of Roman road in North Wales

Date:

Share post:

Clear evidence of a Roman road has been found during an archaeological dig close to the home of a Welsh Prince.

Clear evidence of Roman road in North Wales
Work continues to find out more about a Roman Road in North Wales [Credit: DailyPost]

A section of a metalled road on the line of the Roman road from Caerhun to Segontium (Caernarfon) was found during excavations at Cae Celyn, a field near  Garth Celyn at Abergwyngregyn.

During a three-day dig locals joined volunteers from the Caer Alyn Archaeological Project and Wirral Archaeology to open up evaluation trenches to expose features at an important river crossing.

Archaeologist Phil Cox, from the Caer Alyn Archaeological Project, who led the weekend investigation, said: “The area is already well known for its rich diversity of monuments and history and the excavations will only add to this.

“The road section exposed during the excavations seems to support the theory the line of the Roman road was aligned with the turn-pike road built in 1789. The dig was also about trying to discover more about the function of the riverside enclosures. Work in these areas will continue over the next year to unravel its history.

“The volunteers worked extremely hard over the three days, during which time they have brought not only their enthusiasm, but their various skills and knowledge to help to add new pages to the story of Garth Celyn and its people”.

Peter France of Wirral Archaeology, an expert on Roman roads, said a massive section of the Roman military road that led from Chester to Segontium had been uncovered.

“It is an exciting discovery that adds greatly to our knowledge of this incredibly important site,” he added.

Paul Remfry, a trustee of Garth Celyn and historian, added the remains uncovered fitted well with the documentary evidence concerning the site.  This evidence ranged from late Roman times to the present day. Garth Celyn was the 13th century home of Llywelyn the Great and his grandson, the first Prince of Wales.

The present building was built as a Snowdonia cross passage house in about 1553 and modernised in 1580. Llywelyn’s Tower was incorporated into that house.

Author: Eryl Crump | Source: Daily Post [May 25, 2013]

ADVERTISEMENT

spot_img

Related articles

‘Secret tunnel’ found in Hittite capital

Archaeological works in Alacahöyük, one of the most important centers of the Hittite Empire and considered Turkey’s first...

Butterfly ‘eyespots’ add detail to the story of evolution

A new study of the colorful “eyespots” on the wings of some butterfly species is helping to address...

California’s N2O emissions may be nearly triple current estimates

Using a new method for estimating greenhouse gases that combines atmospheric measurements with model predictions, Lawrence Berkeley National...

Loyal dog still guarding coins after 2,000 years

Archaeologists have pieced together the remains of a 2,000-year-old guard dog whose spirit is believed to have protected...

Iron Age woman’s footless body found near West Knoyle

A skeleton of an Iron Age woman with her feet chopped off has been discovered in a field...

The Future of Alpha Centauri

A very rare gravitational lensing event, set to occur in 2028, has been predicted by a team of...

Researchers identify 6,500 genes that are expressed differently in men and women

Men and women differ in obvious and less obvious ways -- for example, in the prevalence of certain...

Iraq Museum set to reopen doors to public soon

Lamia al-Gailani pulls a folder of crumbling letters from a battered metal cabinet – part of what she...